4. Remove damper (9). Check for leaking and corrosion on rod. (figure 2)
Save damper (9) and front damper pin (8) for re-use. Replace damper if leaking
or corrosion can't be removed. Discard rollers (10) and inner slide (11). (figure
5. Remove four brake master cylinder mounting bolts (12) holding master cylinder
(13) to housing (14) (figure 2). Do NOT disconnect hydraulic hose. Discard
removed four master cylinder mounting bolts.
6. Remove master cylinder (13) from housing (14). (figure 3) Tie out of the way so
master cylinder does not hang by the hydraulic hose. Do NOT disconnect
hydraulic hose or in any way open the brake hydraulic system.
MWO 9-2330-392-35-1, STEEL DRAW BAR must be installed prior to installing
new Surge Brake Actuator. Failure to follow this warning will result in catastrophic
failure of the aluminum drawbar leading to equipment damage and possible injury or
death of personnel.
7. Pull out the emergency brake actuation hardware from the housing --the lever
(15), cable (16) and metal "U" clip (17) and save for re-use. Note that the metal
"U" clip may be stuck to the master cylinder assembly. Remove three locknuts
(18), three washers (19), three capscrews (21) and three spacers (22) securing
hydraulic actuator housing (14) to trailer. NOTE: If MWO 9-2330-392-35-1 has
been applied, vehicle will not have spacers (22). Retain the safety chains (23) for
re-use. (figure 4) Discard bolts, nuts and washers. Remove housing from