f. Rustproofing Stake Pockets and Upper Side Rails
90 degree short tool into holes A (vertical tailgate
stiffeners), B (tailgate hinge rod channel), C (center
(1) Insert 90 degree short tool into holes A and
horizontal stiffener), and D (upper horizontal stiffen-
spray in all directions.
er). Spray in all directions.
(2) Insert long rigid tool into the base of each
stake pocket B. Spray while slowly withdrawing tool.
a. Check the vehicle to ensure that all areas
requiring rustproofing compound have been properly
and completely coated.
(1) Check seams, welds, corners, and boxed
areas to ensure that they are adequately coated.
(2) Check wet film thickness with a wet film
of 10 mils is required. In areas where a wet film
thickness of 10 mils cannot be obtained or where
thickness cannot be measured, inspect for complete-
ness of coverage.
(3) Check all drain holes to ensure that they are
(4) Check all inspection holes and drilled
access holes to ensure that compound coverage is
adequate. Use of a high intensity inspection light will
enhance this process.
(5) Check vehicle to ensure that no compound
Figure 9-8. Rustproofing Tailgate.
has been applied to prohibited areas (see CAUTION,
Figure 9-9. Rustproofing Stake Pockets and Upper Side Rails.