b. Adjustment. All belts are adjusted to a tension
deflection is specified. All belts are tensioned by
loosening the connected unit on its base, moving it as
permitting 1-/2 inch (3.81 cm) deflection under firm
required, and tightening the base fasteners to hold the
thumb pressure midway between pulleys, except the
transfer pump belt, for which 1 inch (2.54 cm)
Section XXII. CARBON DIOXIDE TRANSFER
AND CYLINDER FILLING SYSTEM
Replace a damaged pump or report to the proper
authority. Inspect the pipes and capscrews for damaged
The carbon dioxide system (fig. 4-89) through the
threads or any other damage. Replace badly damaged
use of the transfer pump (30), cylinder filling unit (37),
valving, and clutches is used to perform the various
conversion and storage functions of the unit. This
system consists of the transfer pump, cylinder filling
plug (19), and adapter (2) into position in the pump (1).
unit, a liquid level and pressure gage for each tank,
(2) Screw the line (16) and the close nipple
dehydrator, cylinder filling manifold, vapor manifold, and
into position in the two elbows.
carbon dioxide manifold.
4-94. Transfer Pump
(3) Screw the two 1/3 unions into position on
the line (16) and nipple.
(4) Screw the safety relief valve (17) into
position on the line (16).
(2) Open pump bleed-off valve (6).
(5) Position the pump assembly (1) on the
(3) Unscrew the tube nut (3, fig.
frame (14) with the drive belts (13) in position on the
securing the tube (4) to the adapter (2).
pulley and secure with the four nuts, washers,
(4) Unscrew the two union nuts (5).
(5) Slide the drive belt (13) off the pump.
(6) Secure the pipes with the two union nuts.
(6) Remove the four capscrews (15), nuts,
(7) Position the tube (4) on the adapter (2) and
secure with the tube nut (3).
to the frame, and lift out the pump assembly.
(7) Remove the line (16) and the close nipple
close valve (6).
from the two elbows (18).
(8) Remove the two elbows, adapter (2), and
pipe plug (19) from the pump assembly.
(9) Remove the two 1/3 unions from the two
(2) Unscrew the two union nuts (10), securing
(10) Remove the safety relief valve (17) from
the-dehydrator assembly (9), and lift the assembly from
the line (16).
b. Installation. Reverse procedure in a. above.
Dry cleaning solvent, P-D-680 or P-S-
4-96. C02 Liquid Manifold
661, used to clean parts is potentially
dangerous to personnel and property.
(1) Remove the carbon 'dioxide from both
Use in a well-ventilated area as the
fumes are dangerous if inhaled. Avoid
repeated and prolonged skin contact.
nipples (17) from the manifold, at 3 and 5, figure 4-91.
Do not use near open flame or
excessive heat. Flash point of solvent
remove the hose (5) from the valve (30).
is 100F.-138F. (38C.-59C.).
(4) Remove the two nuts (27) and U-bolt (29)
b. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair. Clean the
securing the pipe and valve (30) to the bracket (28).
pump with a clean cloth dampened in a cleaning
(5) Loosen the tube nut securing the tube (22)
solvent. Wash all other parts in a cleaning solvent.
to the valve assembly (25).
Inspect the pump for loose bearings, bushings, pulley,
cracks, and leaks. Tighten a loose pulley.