DETERMINING NOMINAL SHIMS FOR TRANSMISSION MAIN BEARING
THIS WORK PACKAGE COVERS:
Determining Nominal Shims for Transmission Main Bearing Support
DETERMINING NOMINAL SHIMS FOR TRANSMISSION MAIN BEARING SUPPORT
1. If original shim pack thickness is not known, or if certain new parts have been replaced original parts, nominal
shim thickness must be calculated as outlined below.
2. Replacement of any of the following components may affect shim pack dimension required:
Transmission main bearing support
Output bevel gear set
MD1 (Mounting Distance) is etched on output bevel drive gear and must be recorded before gear
is installed in this group.
3. Assemble low and reverse range planetary carrier assemblies as outlined on WP 0074 00.
4. Measure and record dimension indicated by X on figure 1 or 2 of WP 0021 00. Note that micrometer depth gage
must be subtracted from the height of the parallel bar to find dimension X.
5. Record dimension indicated by MD1 on figure 1 or 2 of WP 0021 00. This dimension was etched on output bevel
drive gear and was recorded during rebuild of low and reverse--range planetary carrier assemblies WP 0074 00.
Record dimension from housing being used because each housing is stamped with its
6. Record dimension, which is indicated by D on figure 1 or 2 of WP 0021 00. This dimension is stamped on a web
at left side of transmission housing.