ADJUSTING STEER BEVEL DRIVE GEAR BACKLASH AND GEAR TOOTH
THIS WORK PACKAGE COVERS:
Adjusting Steer Bevel Drive Gear Backlash and Gear Tooth Contact Pattern
ADJUSTING STEER BEVEL DRIVE GEAR BACKLASH AND GEAR TOOTH CONTACT PATTERN
1. Adjust backlash of steer bevel gear set by adjusting spanner nuts at both sides of driven gear on drive shaft.
Backlash should be adjusted to that etched on the steer bevel drive gear (recorded on WP 0023 00).
2. On the XT--1410--5A transmission, torque the adjusting spanner nuts M and P on figure 1 or 2 of WP 0021 00 to
500--800 lb. ft.
3. Lightly coat three or four teeth of driven gear with a mixture of red lead and oil.
4. Using a flat stick, pry drive gear up by pivoting stick on drive shaft. Apply enough leverage to snub rotation of
drive gear. Run painted teeth of driven gear into mesh with drive gear. Reverse rotation to mark both sides of
teeth. Check gear tooth contact pattern produced with desired pattern below:
GEAR TOOTH MESH PATTERN DESIRED FOR STEER
BEVEL DRIVE GEAR WHEN MATED WITH DRIVEN GEAR
(BOTH SIDES OF TOOTH).
GEAR TOOTH MESH PATTERNS DESIRED FOR OUTPUT
BEVEL DRIVE GEAR WHEN MATED WITH DRIVEN GEAR.
CONVEX SIDE OF TOOTH
CONCAVE SIDE OF TOOTH
5. If necessary, adjust shim pack to obtain proper gear tooth contact pattern.