(2) Check wet film thickness with a wet film
thickness gage (see Figure 17- 13). A wet film thickness
of 10 roils is required. In areas where a wet film
thickness of 10 roils cannot be obtained or where
(1) Use short rigid tool to completely coat the
thickness cannot be measured, inspect for complete-
ness of coverage.
(2) Use 90 degree short tool to coat any areas
inaccessible with the straight tool. These areas include
frame channels and around rear fender flanges.
Figure 17-13. Film Thickness Gage.
(3) Check all drain holes to ensure that they are
(4) Check all inspection holes and drilled
access holes to ensure that compound coverage is
adequate. Use of a high intensity inspection light will
enhance this process.
(5) Check vehicle to ensure that no compound
has been applied to prohibited areas (see CAUTION,
Plugging of access holes may be delayed
until after vehicle inspection, if inspection
occurs immediately after rustproofing. If
inspection is delayed too long, rustproofing
Figure 17-12. Rustproofing Underbody.
compound may drip from access holes.
17-5. Rustproofing Inspection.
b. Plug access holes.
a. Check the vehicle to ensure that all areas
requiring rustproofing compound have been properly
17-6. Component Installation.
and completely coated.
Install all components that were removed in
(1) Check seams, welds, corners, and boxed
areas to ensure that they are adequately coated.