GENERAL - Continued
No personnel shall perform maintenance above or below the main
frame without the main frame being supported at the front by use
of a jack stand or the prime mover. Failure to comply may result
in death or injury to personnel.
1. Before beginning a procedure, think about the safety risks and hazards to yourself and to others.
Wear protective gear such as safety goggles or lenses, safety shoes, rubber apron, or gloves.
2. Before beginning a procedure, ensure that the following conditions have been observed, unless
a. Towing device, if coupled, should be parked on level ground with prime mover parking brake
set and chock blocks in place.
b. If prime mover is coupled to towing device, engine must be off unless otherwise indicated.
3. Immediately clean up spilled fluids to avoid slipping.
4. When lifting heavy parts, have someone help you. Ensure that lifting equipment or jack is working
properly, that it meets weight requirement of part being lifted, and that it is securely fastened to part.
5. Always use power tools carefully.
Improper cleaning methods and use of unauthorized cleaning
liquids or solvents can cause injury or death to personnel and
damage equipment. To prevent this, refer to TM 9-247 for further
After washing the fifth wheel towing device, ensure the appropriate
breather valve is opened prior to operation of the fifth wheel towing
device. Failure to comply can result in death or injury to personnel.
Ensure both breather valves are closed prior to washing the fifth wheel
towing device. Failure to comply could result in water contamination of
Keep it clean. Dirt, grease, oil, and debris get in the way and may cover up
a serious problem. Clean as you work and as needed. Use detergent
(item 4, WP 008).