Wash all parts in a cleaning solvent. Replace the hose
if damaged. Clean all gasketed surfaces thoroughly,
inspect the air cleaner and bracket for leaks or breaks,
clean the hole in the timing gear breather plug. Replace
all damaged parts. Replace gaskets.
c. Reassembly and Installation.
(1) Position the hose clamps (13) on the hose (14).
(2) Position the hose on the air cleaner bracket (7)
and tighten the hose clamp screw (16) securing the hose
to the bracket.
(3) Position the gasket (12) and the bracket (7) on
the timing gear cover (21, fig. 4-27) and secure with the
two lockwashers (28) and machine bolts (27).
(4) Screw the stud (6, fig. 4-28) into position in the
(5) On serial nos. L-1475-T through L-1478-T units,
position the gasket (10) on the timing gear breather (11)
and screw into position in the bracket. On serial nos. L-
1666-T through L-1668-T units, position the gasket (17)
and performed packing (21) on the breather (18) and
secure to air cleaning mounting bracket (7) with four
screws (20) and washers (19).
(6) Place the gasket (5) in position on the bracket
(7) Position the gasket (3) in the oil cup (4).
(8) Fill the oil cup (4) with oil to the oil level mark
and position the cup on the bracket assembly (7).
(9) Position the cap and filter assembly (1) over the
stud (6) and secure with the wing nut (2).
(1) Remove the cotter pin securing the governor
control rod to the lever (18, fig. 4-24) and remove the
rod from the lever.
(2) Remove the spring (17) from the governor
lever, marking the hole in the lever so that the spring
may be replaced in its proper position.
(3) Remove the oil tube by unscrewing the two tube
nuts, securing the tube to the governor, and to the street
securing the governor to the gear cover (21, fig. 4-27).
(5) Remove the two machine bolts (26) and the
Cap and filter assembly
timing gear cover (21) and liftoff the housing(l, fig.4-29)
and the gasket (2).
Oil cup assembly
(6) Slide the thrust sleeve and flyweight assembly
Air cleaner bracket
Figure 4-28. Air cleaner, exploded view.