Tail pipe tube
Belt tightener mounting
Nut, terminal, lower
Nut, terminal, upper
Nut, U-bolt clamp
Figure 4-39. - Continued
lock washers securing the bracket (24) and clamp (25).
pipe (3) and the pipe (3) from the other elbow (2).
Lift off the clamp and bracket.
(3) Unscrew the elbow from the exhaust pipe
(2) Slide the tail pipe (14) downward away
from the muffler (1).
(4) Remove the two machine screws (6, fig.
(3) Unscrew the muffler (1) from the elbow
4-34) securing the automatic choke control (5) to the
(2) and remove. Lift the tail pipe (14) up through the
exhaust pipe (7) and lower the choke control out of the
mounting bracket (13) and remove.
(4) Remove the cap screw (12) and lock
washers (11) securing the bracket (13) and remove the
washers (3) and clamp washers (4) securing the exhaust
b. Inspection and Repair. Wash all parts in a
manifold (1) to the block (26).
(6) Lift off the manifold (1) and gaskets and
cleaning solvent. Inspect the muffler and pipe for holes,
unscrew the pipe.
leaks or cracks. Inspect the mounting bracket for cracks
b. Inspection and Repair. Inspect for cracks or
or breaks. Weld minor cracks in the bracket. Replace
breaks. Inspect the threads for damage. If the threads
all other damaged parts.
c. Reassembly and Installation.
are not too badly damaged rechase the threads with a
pipe die. Replace all damaged parts. Discard the old
disassembly and removal procedures.
4-37. Exhaust Manifold and Pipes
gaskets and replace.
c. Installation. Reverse the removal procedure.
(1) Remove the muffler and tail pipe.