17. Install tachometer cable on engine tachometer adapter and connect to tachometer.
18. Connect alternator, accessory, and starter cables to 100-amp connector panel (Figure 2-18). Ensure that
connections are for M113A2/M548A1 only.
19. Connect STE/ICE-R set to engine components, shunt, and batteries. Refer to TM 9-2350-261-20-1 and
TM 9-4910-571-12&P for TK mode connections.
20. Connect engine fuel line quick disconnect halves to fuel line adapter (see Figure 2-15) and fuel line
adapter to powerplant test stand quick disconnect halves.
21. Install transmission stall test tool (see Figure 2-27) on powerplant test stand with three screws,
washers, and nuts.
22. Connect transmission stall test tool to transmission output shaft with four screws and washers.
23. Fill transmission and engine with oil. Refer to appropriate TM.
24. Perform stall test as follows:
The stall check in this procedure is not allowed when engine is in
vehicle. Using stall check can harm engine and/or transmission if not
The stall check will tell you if the powerplant is producing
maximum power. If it is not, the check will tell you whether the
engine or transmission is at fault.
If check fails and a faulty tachometer is suspected, verify
tachometer reading by performing STE-ICE check number 10
before sending to next higher level of maintenance.
M113A2/M548A1 210 hp non-turbocharged engines shall be rated
at 210 horsepower +/- 5 percent at 2800 rpm, using DF2 fuel.
There will be an additional 10% decrease in horsepower when
using JP8 fuel. The minimum horsepower allowed is 179.5.
a) Run engine at 800 rpm for 35 minutes with range selector in 23 range until normal engine
operating temperature is reached.
b) In outside temperature is less than 85F (29C), normal operating temperature should be 160
to 200F (71 to 90C). If outside air temperature is greater than 85F (29C), normal operating
temperature should be 160 to 225F (71 to 107C).
Limit stall test to 30 seconds. If you suspect a bad governor, do not
perform stall check.
Move range selector to the 23 range and push accelerator all the way down. Tachometer reading of
1900 to 2300 rpm indicates powerplant is operating correctly.